Link Exchange Backlink Life
Content Below at a Glance: How Long Backlinks Stay Up | Helpful Bible Quotes
How Long Backlinks Stay Up:
Periodically checking to see if incoming links in link swap agreements are still up is part of the webmaster's work.
I am going on eight years as a link exchanger. From my experience, once a swap has been finalized, a backlink should stay up based on its usefulness, its Google PR, and the fairness (mostly in PR) of the reciprocal pages.
Webmaster Central's Does Google Remove the PageRank shows that backlinks lose their value after deleted.
The two sets of number data below show how long backlinks should stay up from link exchanges. Only webmasters who are not the first party to end link swap agreements are considered (reflected in estimation).
95%: [of backlinks] should stay up for 1 month |
When the other webmaster sees your site at the top of an engine for the same keyword phrase they are working on: How long, when they see you as competition?
85%: [of these backlinks] should stay up for 1 month |
All percentages in this second set have been reduced by 5 to 10%. Other webmasters who remove your backlink first might be eliminating a reason for your site's high ranking. In other words, they do not believe in Godly link swap relations, but they may be in unfortunate competitive fear of other good sites that share the same theme.
"Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other's faults because of your love." - Ephesians 4:2
I have thought about other reasons a backlink is removed first, in a link exchange. To me, based on experience, the webmaster who removes backlinks first is doing it for the possible following reasons:
1) The evil Bait-and-Switch: They see removing your link as no big deal. Maybe you will not notice until years later.
"He is a merchant, the balances of deceit are in his hand: He loveth to oppress." - Hosea 12:7 |
2) There is fear that their reciprocal link will not stay up, based on their experience with exchanges. This scary feeling is a factor that drives them to end the link swap agreement. |
3) They think that backlinks lose value the older they get. With this in their agenda, they assume other webmasters do not care if their reciprocal link is removed after a period of time. |
4) Upon checking their outgoing links, your site was not working on a first or, after a few days, second attempt. |
5) They did not accurately record the web address of their backlink. After not finding their backlink with a brief search, they assume the agreement has ended. |
6) They are cutting back on these types of outbound links, to avoid a slightly possible engine algorithm penalty. There is a possibility of duplicate content that is a characteristic in link exchange titles and descriptions. |
7) They changed the inside pages of their site, giving link swap backlinks (outgoings) new addresses. Instead of notifying webmasters of this through email, they end the agreements. |
"Indeed their rock is not like our Rock, Even our enemies themselves judge this." - Deuteronomy 32:31
"The LORD is good and does what is right. He shows sinners the right way to live. He teaches his ways to humble people. He leads them with fairness." - Psalm 25:8–9
"A false balance is an abomination to the LORD, but just weight is his delight." - Proverbs 11:1
"An offended friend is harder to win back than a fortified city. Arguments separate friends like a gate locked with bars." - Proverbs 18:19
"You shall not steal; you shall not deal falsely; you shall not lie to one another."
"Don't lie to each other. You've gotten rid of the person you used to be and the life you used to live."